Monday, September 14, 2015

My Personal Philosophy

My personal philosophy is fairly simple, and one that many people share. I want to help people with my life. I want to know I've made a positive impact on someone else, and this is why I want to go into psychology. More specifically, I want to go into forensic or clinical psychology. Because my parents are doctors, the importance of helping others was ingrained in me from early on. However, I never wanted to be a doctor. I can't deal with the grotesque and gory like my parents can, so I sought out a career I had a passion for where I could still help others. 

From a young age I struggled with anxiety, so the world of mental health is familiar to me. The older I got, the more I realized just how important of a field it was. Practically nobody is completely 100% mentally healthy, and yet only a small percentage of people are either diagnosed or receiving the treatment they need. As a nation, America has a lot of stigma towards mental health. Mental health issues should not be frowned upon or discounted, and this is why I want to be a psychologist.

I believe that due to my love for helping others and my passion for mental health, my calling in life is to be a psychologist and be part of the end of the stigma surrounding mental health. I want my life to be lived for others, and in helping others I will be living for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Btw, I have a really good abnormal psych textbook in our classroom, and a bunch of others (my husband's degree is in psych) - you are welcome to them!

    ReplyDelete